Advanced Biotechnology Lab for Incoming 8th – 12th Graders
- Class Time: 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. with a break for snack
- Class Dates: Monday (6/26/2023) through Friday (6/30/2023)
- Location: Pine Valley Middle School
- Grades: Incoming 8th-12th grade students (Prior biology experience is NOT required)
- Instructor: Minu Basu, Dougherty Valley HS, AP Biology and Biology Teacher
Students will be immersed in advanced biotechnology lab skills, methods, and applications in this week-long course. This course will include hands-on practice of micro pipetting skills, gel electrophoresis to solve a murder mystery (DNA forensics lab), and the bacterial transformation lab (students use the pGLO plasmid to transform bacteria to express green fluorescent protein (GFP) from the bioluminescent jellyfish). The laboratory and critical thinking skills gained through this class will prepare students for high school biology and AP biology classes.
- Early Bird Pricing through April 18: $325
- Regular Pricing from April 19 through May 31 or class is sold out: $350
For more details about the Imagineering program, visit: bit.ly/srvef-imagineering
**Please be mindful when registering for this program. By registering for this Eventbrite Event, you are registering for the series of dates listed in the ticket description!
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOL: The health and safety of our students, staff, their families, and the community at large is our top priority. SRVEF follows the guidelines set by the Contra Costa Health Services.
REFUND, CANCELATION and WAITLIST POLICIES: Refunds will be allowed up until 2 weeks before the first day of class and will incur a $25 processing fee. After this time, no refunds will be granted. If a class is canceled by SRVEF Imagineering, you will be given the option to transfer registration to a similar class or receive a full refund. The waitlist will be handled in order until one week before the event. At that time, if a spot becomes available, the entire wait list will be notified at the same time and the first to respond will be offered the spot.